We all know it is important to sanitize and stay healthy, but sometimes that can get very expensive! So we have been exploring different ways to stay healthy at home, without breaking the bank and wanted to share this simple DIY hand sanitizer recipe.
Please note: hand washing (and doing it often) is the best way to sanitize so we strongly suggest that. The CDC has some very helpful guidelines to keep in mind when making sanitizer at home.
- Isopropyl Alcohol (try to get 99% if you can. Sometimes this is referred to as Rubbing Alcohol)
- Aloe Vera Gel (try a scented version if you want a better smelling sanitizer)
- An Essential Oil (we like lavender oil for an amazing smell, but you can also use lemon juice if you have that lying around)
How to make it
Sign up for tips, tricks, and special offers
- Mix 3 parts alcohol to 1 part aloe vera
- Add a few drops of your essential oil
- Mix and repeat the above steps to make as much sanitizer as you like
- Store into a sealed container
This hand sanitizer is super easy to use, but it is important that you have very high alcohol content to make sure you effectively kill germs. Check out the CDC guidelines for the science behind hand sanitizer and the importance of hand washing as your first option if possible.